Wondered what places there are to hike near Melbourne? We’ve got you covered, here’s our favourite spots.
Melbourne, Victoria is surrounded by beautiful natural landscapes, making it a popular destination for hiking enthusiasts. Here are the top 10 most popular hikes near Melbourne:
- The Great Ocean Walk: A multi-day hike that takes you along the spectacular Great Ocean Road, passing through beautiful coastal landscapes and rainforests.
- The 1000 Steps: A challenging hike that takes you to the top of the Dandenong Ranges, offering stunning views of the city.
- The Yarra Ranges: A beautiful hike that takes you through the lush forests of the Yarra Ranges, passing by waterfalls and creeks.
- The Dandenong Ranges: This hike takes you through the scenic Dandenong Ranges and offers great views of the city.
- Mount Dandenong: A challenging hike that takes you to the top of Mount Dandenong and offers great views of the city and the surrounding countryside.
- The Organ Pipes National Park: A hike that takes you to the Organ Pipes National Park, home to a unique formation of basalt columns.
- The Lerderderg Track: This hike takes you through the rugged wilderness of the Lerderderg State Park, passing by waterfalls, creeks, and old mining sites.
- The You Yangs: A hike that takes you to the You Yangs, a range of granite peaks offering great views of the surrounding countryside.
- The East Gippsland: A hike that takes you through the beautiful East Gippsland, passing by beaches, lakes, and forests.
- The Grampians: A hike that takes you through the Grampians, a range of rugged peaks offering great views of the surrounding countryside.
That’s our top 10 places to hike near Melbourne!
It’s important to note that most of these hikes require a moderate to high level of fitness. Some of them may require a permit. It’s always a good idea to check the trail conditions, bring enough water and snacks, and let someone know where you’re going before starting a hike.